Problem: Managed Properties using “-” (minus) character

This one had me for a couple of hours …

Using MOSS 2007 my custom search results Web Part kept acting weird if I used facets to refine using Managed Properties. I could do refinements on the standard properties like Title or Author (Author:”JohnD”), but all non-standard properties didn’t seem to work. After some debugging I found out, that all the failing property names contained a “-” character (i.e. CustomerName-PropertyName).

Quite embarrassing, yes, but another lesson learned!

Update: fellow SharePoint fan Jan Tanis (@JanTanis) found out that you should also avoid periods (“.”)  in Managed Property names.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s